Tuesday 24 April 2012

Is there such a thing as too many books?

I am looking out on a blue sky, wishing I could be out enjoying the sunshine, but after a week of rain I have to give my priority to something else - washing.  Unlike many people I love rainy days.  They are a guilt free opportunity to read.  So many household chores are placed on hold with no need for excuse, I love it.  True, there is a downside.  When it stops raining I have to deal with the overflowing dirty washing basket which all too soon becomes the overflowing ironing basket.  Still, I wouldn't give up those reading days.

My birthday is just a week away and to Adrian's dismay all I want is books. I know my online wishlist is growing by the day, something I have let slip more regularly than usual in the last couple of weeks, but he thinks that buying me more books is a bit boring and that more effort on his behalf is required.  Me, I am a fan of the 'lazy' option.  I am pleased that the day is sneaking up on him and soon I will be placing an order on Fishpond. 

Is it possible to have too many books?  That is a matter of opinion.  In our house opinion is divided.  As the owner of the second hand book shop I visited yesterday reminded me - there are worse addictions.  I will share that gem with Adrian.

He doesn't seem to mind me collecting DVD's but I concede that is a more sociable habit.  If only I could put the books down a bit more often so we could find time to watch them.  To a non book-lover it is hard to explain the appeal but that could be said for most things.  I don't understand people voluntarily leaving a plane if its engines are still running and a crash is not emminent but apparently that's fun. I have been told I should try it for the sheer rush.  Walking towards a plane that could fit in my house is rush enough for me.  It's just not going to happen.  Sadly, some people feel that way about books.

I try not to give them the but-there's-so-many-different- types-of-books lecture; I admit I fail repeatedly, but I do try.  As I sit here and remember all the times people have tried to convince me that flying is awesome and it's safer than car travel and blah, blah, blah I understand the futility of my argument.  Maybe I will remember that next time somebody tells me they hate reading.  If I am honest with myself I know I will never stop; books are too important to me. 

Besides, who doesn't love to see a supposed book-hating teenager reading voluntarily?  No parent I know.

Therein lies the perfect excuse for every adult to read. 
Kids learn through example. 

No comments: