Saturday 7 April 2012

Signing up for surveys

Well, I decided to give online surveys a try.  In the past I did a survey on how I use the library, one of my favourite places to spend time, and they paid me $30 for my efforts so I thought why not sign up for the online version.

You can imagine my excitement when two emails arrived on my phone this morning.  Okay, excitement might be pushing it a bit, but I have to admit a smile crossed my face.  It was definitely enough to force me out of bed, through the shower and on to the computer.  I wasn't going to try and do surveys on my phone.  It's all well and good in theory to receive emails and surf the net on the phone but seriously who has the patience.  Read half a line, scroll over, scroll back, repeat.  As much as it's not for me I still find myself doing it surprisingly often even when my laptop is close at hand.  What does that say about me?

Anyhow, having left the comfort of my bed and my three snuggled cats I made it to the computer, opened my email account and clicked on the survey they emailed me at 7.21 this morning, only to find that I had already completed it.  Not to be disheartened I clicked on the second email, received not much later.  For that survey I need one of my children present.  What teenager is awake at 7.34 on a Saturday morning?  Needless to say, I have not completed a survey this morning, but I am up so I will focus on that.

Is this going to be a colossal waste of time - possibly - but it might be a bit of fun also.  So far I have $4.86 in one account, strange amount I know but it is US$5, and some points accrued in others. Not much for the time I have spent.  This morning's 20 minute survey pays $2.97 so why bother?  Curiosity I guess.

If you have ever participated in online surveys I would love to hear about your experiences.  Please share.

Besides, I can't call it a complete ride off ; I have discovered some amazing things about myself since filling in form after form on everything from my choice in health products to the amount of technology to be found in my home.  For someone who claims not to be a fan of technology I am surrounded by it and not just one of each.  I can't believe how much stuff I own and yet when I visit the shops it is amazing how much I still seem to need.

Later today I will be walking the brightly coloured Easter egg aisles with all the other last minute shoppers. I wonder if I will remember that I really don't want for anything.  I hope so, but then again if the jeans I want are on sale, maybe not.  Hey, at least I am honest but it is something I know I need to give a bit more thought.

Just because I can doesn't mean I should!


No comments: