Saturday 14 April 2012

Back to writing

This blog is called 'My writing life and other things' yet looking at my posts it seems other things have taken over. That is definitely not the case.  In fact it is the complete opposite.  Writing has taken over every spare minute.  I guess that is why I have been blogging about other things - they stand out!

Once I made the decision to take writing seriously, I was forced to work out what that meant.  Writing was something to fit into my day when I got a chance, or something I did at the expense of something else, and that had to change.   Now my mornings are dedicated to the house work and what my family needs me to do, just before lunch is boxing time and the rest of the day I either write or research. 

The writing and research part is supposed to end around 5pm but it seems to have a mind of its own and often exceeds the time allocated.  So far that's okay.  No doubt my family will let me know when it isn't.

My need to feel in charge of my life means that I tend to automatically reject anything that imposes limits on me, now it appears I am growing up. 
Routine can be positive! 

With so much planned for each day I use every minute.  Sitting in my car waiting for the kids is no longer wasted time - it is an opportunity to read, new glasses perched on my nose, highlighter in hand.  My car is my mobile study so not a second is wasted. 

Chores no longer have time to stretch out for a day, or two, or three, either,  and I enjoy the structure.  Wow, I never thought I would say that!

Structure has given my day purpose.  Purpose has given me determination and a happiness I had forgotten.  I love my family and I would still put them first if forced to but as much as I can live for them I can't live through them


Sometimes we have to take a stand and realise
every life is valuable, even our own!

No comments: