Sunday 26 June 2011

No more taking things for granted

I was going to put up some photos of my animals but that is not going to happen today.  Today is a relatively short post prompted by a comment I received on my photos about how beautiful where I live is.  I do know I am lucky to have such beautiful areas around me but I often take these things for granted.  It is a terrible admission but one I am honest enough to make.  Why do we take our blessings for granted?  Or even worse, forget or not notice that they are there at all?

I have lived in my house for the past 19 years.  This is the longest I have ever lived anywhere and for whatever reason I get restless.  I don't really know why since I can't imagine actually living anywhere else.  We have built our home here both literally and figuratively.  Our house itself is small, not nearly big enough for the amount of people that share our roof on a regular basis, but somehow it works.  How could I have ever doubted my place here? 

It is funny, okay sad, how blind I have become to what is around me.  On the way home from our Queensland holiday I was flicking through a tourist book that covered from Sydney to Cairns when  I came across a beautiful picture.  It was so beautiful that I proceeded to show it to my husband who happened to be driving down the expressway at the time.  (I never claimed to be overly intelligent)  Why am I telling you this?  Because, it turned out that the photo that had so strongly caught my attention was taken only a 15 minute drive from where I live. 

What's my point?  I think it is time to truly be a tourist in my own area and my own city.  When we go on holidays we expect to see beautiful things and to have great new experiences, why not everytime we step out our front door?  From now on when I go out I am going to try and remember to use my tourist eyes.  No doubt there will be an overwhelming amount of new photos appearing on here soon.

Anyhow, I have to go and get ready for my nephew's birthday celebration this afternoon.  I wonder what great things I will notice on the way?

No comments: